August continues the traditional Florida summer of afternoon rains and sticky heat, but the wildlife don't mind and there are some stellar activities for you to see.
Here are some interesting things to look for in August:
- First flocks of blue-winged and green-winged teal arrive to winter on Florida lakes and wetlands.
- Yellow warbler migration begins.
- Two-year old black bear cubs will wean from their mothers.
- Short-tailed shrews will begin a second round of breeding for the year.
- Young sea turtles are hatching so watch where you're walking on the beach.
- Thousands of great southern white butterflies can be seen migrating through coastal areas.
- Corals along the Keys spawn at the full moon